Thursday, February 28, 2013

Almost Spring!

I was creating a calendar for work and just noticed that it is almost Spring! 20 days until this long, cold, snowy winter is over. I know we get nasty weather in March but just the thought of Spring being on the way cheers me up immensely.

So why the fridge you ask?  I cleaned out mine yesterday and threw out about $100 worth of old food. This is getting ridiculous.  I buy food with all of the best intentions. I am going to make dinner, I am going take my lunch to work every day instead of buying the gross stuff that passes for food in the cafeteria, I am going to master a great low-fat recipe for my favorite scones dammit!!   For the 27 years I was married I cooked at least 4 or 5 times a week.  For the 1 1/2 years I have been not married I have cooked, MAYBE, once a week. I like to cook. I love to bake so what the hell is going on? 

I think part of my issue is I don't eat much processed foods. I don't buy canned anything nor do I buy much frozen food. After Bob had his heart surgery we completely re-vamped how we ate and now I see salt in everything. The other bigger problem is cooking for one seems like such a waste of food. I steam corn and eat a serving and waste the rest. I make a pot of stew and end up freezing most of it or giving it away though my mom is eating better and my freezer is getting full! The last issue is I go to the gym twice a week after work and it is easier to pick up a salad on my way home.  So what is the solution?  How can I eat healthy and now waste so much food? I don't have a clue but I am open to suggestions.

Enjoy your weekend and stay warm. Spring will be here soon, really!



No comments:

Post a Comment