Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Close but no cigar...



It was 2 years ago today. I had a stomach ache all week, you know the kind where you walk around all day thinking "what did I eat"? This continued off and on for about 4-5 days. By Sunday morning I was in a lot of pain. So much so that I woke up the hubby and told him he needed to take me to the emergency room. By the time I got to the hospital I was crying from the pain and all I can say is THANK GOD for Demerol! Long story short, my appendix had ruptured and I needed surgery right away.

What you may not know is when your appendix ruptures it releases all kinds of nasty little toxins into your system that have to be killed with antibiotics. When your blood is infected with junk it's called sepsis. I had a lovely case, so for the next 2 weeks I was loaded up with so many antibiotics that it killed me, literally! My heart stopped and I had to be resuscitated. Being in the hospital saved my life. I fell to the floor and the woman in the next bed started yelling and the nurses rushed in and saved me. I was in the hospital 4 more days before I got to go home.


But here's the thing... I did not see a "white light". I did not see any kind of tunnel. My grandparents weren't waiting to tell me to step away from the light. I was not floating above my body looking at all the people saving my life. Nothing! I was awake one minute, out the next and awake again. That's it! I am pretty healthy, mostly happy, and very very thankful to be alive but a few months after all of this happened I had a little crisis, not exactly of faith but I sure have a lot of questions!


So last year to celebrate the 1-year anniversary of all this weirdness and especially of just being ALIVE, I had a little birthday party. This year it's not as novel but I am still going to celebrate....Happy Second Birthday too me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment