Monday, February 20, 2012

Book blog 2 - Alaska on my mind!

The picture has nothing to do with books. I just love it and wanted to share. My little sweetheart heading to ballet class.

So, here I am again sharing the books I have been reading since my last book blog. These are mostly mysteries but I did get in a little romance.

Firelight- Kristen Callihan. This is a dark, Gothic-style historical. The mystery isn't resolved until the end but the love story was pretty hot.

From Amazon -- "London, 1881 Once the flames are ignited . . . Miranda Ellis is a woman tormented. Plagued since birth by a strange and powerful gift, she has spent her entire life struggling to control her exceptional abilities. Yet one innocent but irreversible mistake has left her family's fortune decimated and forced her to wed London's most nefarious nobleman.They will burn for eternity . . . Lord Benjamin Archer is no ordinary man. Doomed to hide his disfigured face behind masks, Archer knows it's selfish to take Miranda as his bride. Yet he can't help being drawn to the flame-haired beauty whose touch sparks a passion he hasn't felt in a lifetime. When Archer is accused of a series of gruesome murders, he gives in to the beastly nature he has fought so hard to hide from the world. But the curse that haunts him cannot be denied. Now, to save his soul, Miranda will enter a world of dark magic and darker intrigue. For only she can see the man hiding behind the mask".

Secrets of the Lost Summer - Carla Neggars. I wasn't sure I was going to finish this one. It is a contemporary romance with a little mystery tossed in. I liked the story but it just didn't seem to move fast enough or have enough heat. It did finally draw me in though. I guess I would classify it as "sweet".

"A wave of hope carries Olivia Frost back to her small New England hometown nestled in the beautiful Swift River Valley. She's transforming a historic home into an idyllic getaway. Picturesque and perfect, if only the absentee owner will fix up the eyesore next door.…Dylan McCaffrey's ramshackle house is an inheritance he never counted on. It also holds the key to a generations-old lost treasure he can't resist…any more than he can resist his new neighbor. Against this breathtaking landscape, Dylan and Olivia pursue long-buried secrets and discover a mystery wrapped in a love story…past and present".


Now for the nitty gritty of what I have been reading: The Kate Shugak series by Dana Stabenow. "Kate Shugak is an Aleut who lives on a 160-acre homestead in a generic national Park in Alaska. Her roommate is a half-wolf, half-husky dog named Mutt. Her nearest neighbors are a bull moose and a grizzly sow. Farther off are dog mushers, miners, hunters, trappers, fishermen, bush pilots, pipeline workers, Park rats and Park rangers, other Aleuts, Athabascans, a few Tlingits and the residents of Niniltna, a village perched on the edge of the Kanuyaq River, a 600-mile long, salmon-rich tributary that winds through the Park to Prince William Sound." (From stabenow.com)

I am now on book 5 of this up to now, 19 book series. I like starting at the beginning and working my way through a series so I get to know the characters as they grow. The mysteries have been good and the writing superb. "The sky was of that crystal clarity that comes only to the lands of the far north in winter; light, translucent, wanting cloud and color." By the 4th book I had to print a map of Alaska so I could picture all the places that have been described so wonderfully in the books. The first in this series is A Cold-Blooded Business and you can get it for only $4.99 on Kindle.

What are you reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment